Vicious Cycle is making India go through a scary time. So now after black fungus and white fungus infection, cases of yellow fungus have been reported in India, which according to the doctors is much scarier.
The first case of yellow fungus has been identified in the state of U.P Ghaziabad. Doctors say that Yellow fungus is much more dangerous than the Black and White fungus infection and it requires attention from the very beginning, as this yellow fungus can cause heavy internal damage to the infected person.
What is Yellow Fungus Infection?
A yellow fungus (also dubbed as Mucor septics) infection, much like other fungal infection spreads via contaminated environments, or when a suspected patient inhales molds (myxomycetes) which grow in the environment.
The yellow fungus is usually found in reptiles. The doctors treating the 1st patient of the new fungus were shocked to find yellow fungus in the human body.
What are the Symptoms of Yellow Fungus Infection?
As per the study, the following are the symptoms of yellow fungus infection:
- Disrupted digestion
- Unexpected weight loss
- Sunken eyes
- Pus leakage
- Delayed healing of wounds
How is the Yellow Fungus Infection different from Black and White Fungus Infection?
What makes yellow fungus infection different from black and white fungus infection
1. In The Manner Of Its Symptoms
While Black Fungus starts with distinct facial disfiguration & blackened areas on the face, the White Fungus, on the 0therhand, has Covid like symptoms which mainly are breathing issues, Weakness, diarrhea, fever, the yellow fungus infection starts to cause symptoms by launching an attack on the body’s internal organ and disturbing vital bodily processes.
According to Dr. Tyagi, an ENT specialist, in a recent interview on ANI news Channel, Yellow Fungus’s symptoms are lethargy, lack of appetite, and loss of weight. In severe cases, there could be pus, wounds taking a long time to heal, malnutrition, organs not functioning, or sunken eyes.
Since the damage caused by the infection is said to be much more dangerous and severe, experts now warn people to start recognizing the infection from day 01 and seek help.
2. Manner Of Spread
Any fungal infections spread when a person inhales molds found in the environment. Black, White, and now Yellow fungus could also roll out by the way of low humidity, contaminated garbage. Thus, it is advised to keep a check on the humidity of the house. As too much humidity provides an optimum surrounding for the growth of fungus and bacteria. Though the main factor guilty is poor sanitation and hygiene.
“It is very important to clean out the enclosure around the house, keep it as clean as possible, and remove old food, fecal matter, etc as soon as possible to help prevent the growth of bacteria and fungus,” said Dr. Tyagi
Since there is no evidence of the fungus being spread from person to person like the Coronavirus, the risk of external spread is low.
3. People Who Are At Most Risk
Experts have warned people with diabetes, cancer, hypertension, and those with medical history to take care of themselves. As the risk of the fungal infection aggregates for those who have weak immunity.
The Black fungus, White fungus, and now Yellow fungus infections are mostly seen in people recovering from Covid-19. And mainly those who were on prolonged oxygen cylinders and steroids.
Who Are At High Risk For Developing these Infection Includes
- People who have recently spent a lot of time in ICU.
- Persons with cancer, low WBC count, diabetes, high blood pressure, organ transplant.
- Persons who had a lot of antibiotics or steroids recently?
- People who are on dialysis.
Precautions for Yellow Fungus Infection:
- People with diabetes should be more careful of keeping their blood sugar levels under control
- As for patients recovering COVID-19, since one reason for the spread of these hazardous molds is poor sanitization of environments, one must do that proper disinfection of the surrounding.
- Those on oxygen therapy should also ensure that oxygen is well-filtered and not contaminated (such as with unclean water). Doctors must keep a check on the usage of steroids and related medications on the patients.
- Additionally, doctors recommend following proper mask mandates and maintain personal hygiene.
- Doctors must also help the patient in controlling their blood sugar level post-Covid-19.