We all look forward to having a beautiful smile, as it is the first thing the world notices about you. For that everyone desires few things like smooth smile, white and heavy teeth that give a pretty look all the time.
There is one more thing that contributes to having an awesome smile and it is amazing and good looking gums. Yes, if you are looking for an attractive smile, it is very much necessary for you to think about having healthy gums.
What Are Black Gums?
Teeth are calcified structures present in the buccal cavity. The teeth are supported in the mouth by Gum, also called gingiva. Healthy gums are generally pink, stippled, tough, and have a limited sensibility to pain, temperature, and pressure. The main function of gingiva is to protect the underlying tooth and bone, thereby acting as a protective seal.
The color of gums may be pink, red, or brown varying from person to person, just like skin color. If a person’s gums have always been dark there is no cause of concern. But if the gums are gradually darkened then it might require some attention.
What It Is To Have Dark Gums?
Dark gums are a common issue in which the gums in the mouth turn black from a pink over time. Dark gums are mostly seen in dark skin individuals owing to the excess production of melanin. Though this is not life-threatening and abnormal just a physiological variation. It is the pigmentation that makes it darker. But this can be seen in all people from any race causing awkwardness and embarrassment in social gatherings.
What Are The Main Causes Of Black Gums?
Gums turned blackish or bluish-black is medically known as hyperpigmentation of gingiva. This can be due to various reasons: Extrinsic – outside factors or Intrinsic: Internal changes within the body. Let us have a look into the causes contributing to the darkening of the gums.
1. Excess And Unnatural Production Of Melanin
Just like your skin, some people can have a higher concentration of melanin in them which can affect their gums. So in some people with darker skin, the gums can be darker due to the higher production of melanin. But this can also appear in all people form any race. Because activities like exposure to sun rays for long hours(wearing a suitable Sunscreens with high SPF will help), etc contributes to the unnatural and large production of Melanin. Excess production of melanin results in darker skin, hair, and eyes. Thus could also lead to darker gums.
Smoking or chewing tobacco that has taken many lives all over the globe is also responsible for black gums. Black gums are mostly seen in chronic smokers. As the nicotine in the tobacco activates the melanin secreting cells leading to the over secretion of melanin resulting in dark gums.
Certain medicines such as minocycline or certain anti-depression have an uncommon side effect of pigmentation or discoloration in the mouth. According to the Future Dental Journal, ” Many medications can have this side effect including some antimalarials, antipsychotics, even some metal-based crown feelings, cancer therapy drugs, and antibiotics”. If you notice your gums turning dark after starting some new medications consult your doctor.
4) Amalgam Tattoos
Amalgam is a mixture of metals that are used to fill dental fillings and crowns. When the particles of this mixture get segregated or dislodged, they get deposited in the tissues of the mouth or under the skin of the gums. These deposits look like a flat gray, blue, or black spot which are known as amalgam tattoos. Though it may be alarming to see these black spots on your gums it does not possess any threat.
5) Drinking Excess Tea Or Coffee
Drinking an excess of Tea/coffee containing nicotine has many side effects including dark gums. As mentioned above the products containing nicotine triggers the melanin-producing cells leading to its over secretion causing dark gums. Thus reducing the intake of tea/coffee will reduce the hyperpigmentation of gums.
6) Bad Oral Hygiene
Good oral health includes daily brushing and flossing keeps the bacteria under control. However, without proper oral hygiene, bacteria can reach levels that might lead to oral infections.
7) Indigestion Of Heavy Metals
The toxic or heavy metals enter our body through various sources like house paints, fish, dental amalgam, farming, mining, and smoking, Smoking is an important source of Nickel, cadmium, lead, and other toxic metals which cause dark gums. Quitting smoking will reduce the hyperpigmentation of gums.
8) Excessive Calculus Deposits
Old deposits under the gum(calculus) can show through the gums and makes appears the gum itself is darker. Calculus is very irritating to the gum along with bacteria associated with it. Bleeding will occur even though you will not notice any blood. The calculus will absorb the iron in the blood and gradually turn it from white to black. In such a case, you are strongly recommended to visit a dentist and get your teeth cleaned.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Black Gums
A lot of people have dark gums but not a ton of people know how to treat them. Nature has been a great remedy for various human problems. Moreover, the best part is, the results are permanent and the procedure is not at all painful. However, the key is to have patience as nothing happens in a day.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera has a wide range of benefits and has just become the panacea for so many things.
It helps to fight the infected black gums and they also contain anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. The aloe vera gel is regarded as a wonder ingredient for whitening your teeth, gums, and eliminating disease-causing bacteria.
How To Use It
1. Take a fresh leaf of aloe vera.
2. Carefully peel its skin off so that you are left with the gel part only.
3. Now massage your gums with the gel for at least 10-15secs.
4. Squish your mouth with your regular mouth wash.
5. Though it may taste like hell but doing it regularly once a day will give you effective results.
2. Baking Soda
Another affordable treatment for dark gums is the use of baking soda. Baking soda neutralizes the acids in your mouth thereby eliminating any growth of bacteria.
How To Use It
1. Take 1tablespoon of baking soda.
2. Add 1-2drops of warm water to it.
3. Now simply rub the mixture in your gums.
4. Doing this twice a day will give to desired results.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has exceptional anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help you brighten your black gums.
How To Use It
1. Hold 2tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 5mins.
2. Try to keep the oil near the gums inside the mouth.
3. Spit the coconut oil out or you can also gulp it. If you are ok with it.
4. Repeat this twice a day,
4) Clove Oil
Clove oil has been used for decades to solve the teeth issues. It contains a chemical called eugenol which acts as an anesthetic and antibacterial agent. The clove oil is effective at fighting several known oral bacteria.
How To Use It
1. Gently massage clove oil on your gums with your fingers.
2. Otherwise, you can take the clove oil on the cotton swab and apply it to the affected gum areas.
3. Keep it overnight after applying. Repeat it every night before going to sleep.
5) Coconut Oil And Baking Soda
You can maximize the health-boosting value of the product by mixing aloe vera gel to coconut oil and baking soda.
How To Use It
1. Add 2tablespoon pulp of aloe vera gel to 2tb of both baking soda and coconut oil.
2. Mix it thoroughly to create a paste.
3. Apply this paste for 3-4mins on your gums.
3. Applying it thrice a week will solve your gum issues.
6) Lemon Oil
Lemon oil is a treasured source of antiseptic and antibacterial properties that helps to get rid of bacterial infections and dark gums effectively.
How To Use It
1. Mix 1tablespoon of lemon juice with olive oil and blend them well.
2. Let it sit for a few weeks say 2 weeks so that it turns into a lemon oil.
3. Once it is ready, use this oil to squish your mouth regularly in the morning to improve your oral health.
7) Green Tea
Everyone knows green tea helps to treat numerous health and skin issues without causing any side effects. It works effectively in clearing impurities and bacteria inside the buccal cavity due to its amazing properties.
Try to drink a cup of green tea twice a day to enhance stronger teeth and healthy pinkish gums.
8) Black Tea
Black tea is capable of treating microbes and reduce the inflammation and swellings in your mouth. Drinking a cup of black tea or applying a black tea bag on the gums helps to improve the health of the gums.
How To Use It
1. Take a cup of boiled water and place tea bags in it. Now steep them for few mins.
2. Allow the tea bag to cool down.
3. Now apply the tea bag all over the gums and massage gently for a few minutes.
4. Repeat the process regularly until you see the desired results.
9) Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is effective in reducing all types of gum diseases. It also helps to prevent root damage due to its antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
How To Use It
1. Dilute a few drops of tea tree oil by adding coconut oil. Stir it well.
2. Now apply this oil on your gums and massage gently for a few minutes.
3. You can also use this oil as mouthwash and rinse your mouth thoroughly.
Regular flossing removes the food particles stuck in the teeth, which otherwise provides an optimum environment for bacteria to spread. Thus flossing is the best to treat ongoing gum issues. So it is better to stick to regularly flossing your teeth after a meal.
Most of the people feel irritated by getting black or dark gums around the teeth, which possibly ruins a smile if left untreated. If you feel dark gums make you embarrassed, you should need to take the best ever step to eliminate all your problems. Once you move up with the best one, the results won’t let you down.
Hopefully, you must have understood the underlying causes of dark gums and the ways to deal with it. However, it is imperative for us to remember that cosmetic correction is for a transient period of time. Sooner or later the dark color reappears. On the other hand, natural remedies are a pain-free and permanent solution. You just have to keep calm and try.