Eyebrows…one of the things you can get into shape without exercising.
It is normal for hair to change color, as people age. The human body has millions of hair follicles on the skin. The follicle sprouts hair and color or pigment cells that contain melanin. With increasing age, the pigment cells lose their ability resulting in grey hair and then white. You don’t need to panic if you are young and have already developed grey eyebrows. A lot of factors play a role in speeding up the process of greying hair. On the other hand, there are remedies and a few changes in your lifestyle that have to be done to fix the greying of eyebrow hair.
Why My Eyebrows Turning Grey or White?
Hair turns grey due to a decrease in the production of melanin found in the hair roots. Melanin, which gives hair its color, is produced by pigment cells within the hair follicles called Melanocytes. When melanin production is reduced, the hair becomes colorless or white and when mixed with surrounding darker hair, results in grey hair effect.
In the normal greying process your genes decide how you will go grey. Your DNA decides the time when your roots will stop producing melanin. But there are other factors responsible for premature greying of hair. This includes
Researchers have found that the build-up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicles bleaches the hair inside out. Hydrogen Peroxide is naturally produced in the body due to metabolism and can do nasty things. The formation of Hydrogen peroxide in the cells is an attempt by the body to protect itself from an even more dangerous substance, superoxide.
When we are young, our body produces catalase that breaks, the double-edged sword, hydrogen peroxide molecule into harmless oxygen and water. But as we age, the catalase producing ability of the body declines resulting in the accumulation of hydrogen peroxide. Also, stress, pollution, and smoke reduce this catalase in our body, which causes H2O2 build-up.
2. Water Quality And Pollution
The toxic pollutants in the environment produce free radicals that damage the melanin increasing the rate of greying your eyebrow hair.
Apart from the deficiency of important vitamins, the quality of water we use to wash our hair or drink also badly affects the hair quality and growth. Exposure to high chlorine or iron-containing water may also cause greying of eyebrow hair.
3. Vitamins Or Minerals Deficiency
Vitamins like biotin, B12, Niacin, Folic acid, Vitamin D, and minerals like Iron, Zinc, and Copper play a major role in preserving hair color. Melanocytes require vitamin B12 and B5 for proper working. If there is less amount of these minerals or vitamins in our body it can deactivate the melanocytes.
Grey hair in eyebrows could be an early indication that you are losing some vitamins faster and your body cannot produce them to compensate for the loss. By taking vitamin supplements at the right time, you overcome the problem of grey eyebrows.
4. Stress And Smoking
Stress and smoking is also a contributing factor for grey eyebrow hair.
Mental, as well as physical stress, can cause melanocytes to stop working and thus causing grey eyebrows. The stress hormones lead to inflammation and free-radical production, and this in turn affects melanin production or the bleaching of melanin.
On the other hand, smoking has been constantly linked to premature greying of eyebrow hair. The mechanism, similar to one proposed for stress, is that free radicals may damage the cells that produce melanin.
5. Hormonal Imbalance
A hormonal imbalance causes a major impact on the pigmentation of your hair color. Especially in females, hormonal imbalance affects hair color, density, and texture.
Owing to certain medical conditions, like thyroids, pituitary glands, and autoimmune disease can melanocytes to slow down or stop working which causes greying of hair.
Does Removing The Grey Hair From Eyebrow Help?
Plucking a grey hair will only get you a new grey hair in its place because only one hair sprouts from a single follicle. Your surrounding hair will not turn white until its own follicles’ pigment cells deactivate.
Avoid the temptation to tweeze out white hair. It’s a myth that two will grow back. Plucking your grey eyebrow hair will end up thinning your eyebrow. As you lose pigment in strands, the hair will get wirier and coarser. They will be more brittle and dry as well.
On the other hand, it may injure the follicle, and infection in it may cause pimple there. If you have pimple between your eyebrows. Check the remedies HERE.
Here are some modifications that you must involve in your daily life to avoid further greying of your eyebrow hair.
1. Eat fresh home-cooked food as much as possible. Avoid food canned foods.
2. Maintain a schedule of your eating patterns and sleep.
3. Avoid refrigerated or Frozen products.
4. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
5. Try to cover your face while going out.
6. Keep a check on the quality of water you drink or bath with.
7. Exercise daily for up to 1hr. Keep a mild exercise routine that doesn’t strain you.
8. Avoid watching T.V. or using the phone at least 30mins before going to bed.
Effective Diet Plan To Avoid/Reduce Grey Hair
1. Eating lentils which are a storehouse of Vitamin B6 is a good idea since they can improve and strengthen the hair follicles from the roots.
2. Include nuts like cashew, walnuts, and almonds in your diet plan as these are rich in copper and can enhance the secretion of melanin.
3. The anti-oxidant property of sesame seeds increases melanin production. Thus adding it to your diet will help you.
4. Eat leafy vegetables such as Spinach as it contains a good amount of Vitamin C and E. The antioxidant properties also improve the blood circulation to the scalp which in it nourishes the hair follicles.
5. Avoid junk food, fried food, packaged food, and refined food products.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Grey Eyebrow Hair
If you are looking to reverse or get rid of grey eyebrow hair then you must read the section below…
Best Foods That Help You Avoid Grey Eyebrow
1. Black Sesame Seeds
Black Sesame seeds claim to be one of the best anti-aging remedies. Its anti-oxidant property is capable of reversing the grey hair and promote healthy hair.
How To Use It
1. Take sesame seeds in a pan.
2. Heat it on a low flame and stir it.
3. Once roasted, take it away from the flame.
4. Eat one or a half spoon of roasted sesame seeds daily.
Molasses is a thick dark brown syrup obtained during the refining of sugar. Blackstrap molasses is a storehouse of minerals like iron, magnesium, and copper which enhances the melanin production. Thus reducing the grey eyebrow hair.
How To Use It
Take 1 spoon of molasses daily for 6 months to see the visible changes in your grey eyebrow.
Molasses is naturally sweet, so you can use it in your tea or fruit juices and drink.
The accumulation of hydrogen peroxide plays a vital role in greying your eyebrow hair. Almonds neutralize the hydrogen peroxide into harmless hydrogen and oxygen. Thus reducing grey hair or premature hair.
How To Use It
1. Soak 5-6 almonds in water overnight.
2. Peel the almonds in the morning and consume them daily.
Broccoli is highly rich in folic acid, which is an important vitamin for the maintenance of natural hair color. Thus eating broccoli daily will help in removing grey eyebrow hair.
How To Use It
1. Boil broccoli for 5mins in water.
2. Add pepper or salt and eat it.
Walnuts are rich in copper and it is essential for melanin production. Consuming walnuts daily can help in getting rid of grey eyebrow hair.
1. Curry Leaves
Requirements- curry leaves, coconut oil, Sesame oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and a quarter cup of coconut oil to a bowl.
- To it add a few curry leaves and keep the bowl boiling on a low flame.
- You will see the oil turns yellow, once the curry leaves are dried.
- Filter the oil and apply it to your eyebrows.
- Keep it for 1hr before washing it.
2. Hibiscus Paste
Requirements- Hibiscus powder, sesame oil, curd or yogurt, bhringraj powder.
- Add one tablespoon of Hibiscus powder, sesame oil, curd or yogurt, and bhringraj powder each in a bowl.
- Mix it well until it becomes a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your grey eyebrows for 1hr before washing it off.
3. Lemon Emulsion
Requirements– lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and coconut oil to a bowl.
- Mix it well.
- Apply this mixture on your grey eyebrows for 30mins and then wash it off.
4. Black Tea and Coffee Paste
Black tea and coffee make effective eyebrow masks which help in getting rid of grey eyebrow hair.
- Add 1 tablespoon of black tea and coffee in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of water to it.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Now, apply them and rinse it after 30mins.
Amla contains Vitamin C and this is really helpful for hair growth and also will reverse the grey hair growth.
- Take half a cup of coconut oil in a pan or a bowl. Add freshly cut amla (Indian Gooseberry) without the seeds.
- Boil the coconut oil for 5mins and once it is boiled add amla pieces to it.
- Now, boil it until the amla becomes golden brown.
- Once it becomes Golden Brown in Color, take off the amla by using a sieve and put it in a container and apply it.
6. Bhringraj or Eclipta Alba
Requirements- Henna powder, Eclipta alba, and coffee powder.
- Boil a glass of water in a bowl.
- Add 1\2 tablespoon of coffee to the boil and continue it to boil.
- Once it is boiled keep it aside and let it cool down.
- Make a mixture 2 tablespoon of bhringraj powder and 5 spoons of bhringraj powder.
- Add this mixture to the bowl and mix it up into a thick paste.
- Apply this paste all over your grey eyebrow hair and wash it off after 1 hour.
NOTE- Be careful when you apply them. Keep your eyes safe and rinse with water in case of accidental exposure.
Hopefully by understanding the underlying causes of greying eyebrow hair. You will now easily find a way out. I hope the article is helpful to you. Please give your valuable feedback in the comment section.